Theater Thoughts NY

Tuesday, May 01, 2007

A Moon for the Misbegotten

I'm still impressed how Eugene O'Neill can use like three characters and just have them talk in the same setting for 3 hours and have me gripped the entire time. It's impressive, since I can't stay awake in an hour long class with like famous professors. I stood through the four hours of Long Day's Journey Into Night a few years back, and was happy to revisit Jim Tyrone for A Moon for the Misbegotten this weekend.

I haven't read the reviews for this, but I heard they weren't great. I, however, thought the play was quite good. It takes a little while to get started, but I wouldn't say it dragged at all. There are some great humorous scenes, and Colm Meaney and Kevin Spacey are both able to get some good laughs. Eve Best delivers an impressive performance that must be incredibly draining. It's very impressive. She's also much prettier in real life than her pictures, I think.

In any case, the play basically follows kind of a complicated love story between Josie Hogan (Best), a tough farm girl, and her landlord, Jim Tyrone (Spacey). Colm Meaney plays Josie's father and plays a pretty integral part in the play as well. It's an impressive plot for essentially three people talking, and it's quite gripping.

The cast is solid all around. I sat in the front row, so I got a great closeup view of the action (as well as a straight shot up Eve Best's skirt... scandalous!), and the three main actors were really quite impressive. Kevin Spacey's one of my favorite actors, and I had high expectations for the cast, and for the most part it was met.

It's a solid show, and I think it's worth seeing. Check it out!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home