Theater Thoughts NY

Friday, February 02, 2007

The Fever

Oh how I dread posting about this show, and I usually like posting about shows that are awful. Unfortunately, I have a) absolutely NO recollection of what the play was about, b) absolutely NO recollection of what happened in the play and c) absolutely NO desire to relive the time spent at the play.

Let me give you a little background. Wallace Shawn wrote and starred in this one man play. He then talks for about two hours. I don't know about what. I just recall there being maybe ... nope I can't remember anything about it. I do remember that the house lights would turn on every now and then because he would change characters or settings or something, and that would annoy me, because I was sitting very much in his line of view, and the lights made it quite obvious to him that I was sleeping. Often I would wake up with pretty good timing, but since the lights were on, it was pretty darn obvious that I was asleep anyway. So obnoxious.

But the show wasn't all bad. I will say that it was pretty cool, because they served free champagne to the audience (which prompted the question, "will I enjoy it more if I had a few drinks?" to which the answer is a resounding "YES." And by enjoy it more I mean, it will help you fall asleep). The audience was also able to walk around the set and touch stuff and sit in Wallace Shawn's chair (which I did for a good 15 minutes before the audience showed up) and talk to the Sicilian himself. Also, we added another house manager to the list of house managers we really like to usher for.

So ultimately, were these things worth sitting through the show? Um. No.

PS - this is Lydia - why oh why were the reviews so good? This is definitely on my worst shows of all time list!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home