Theater Thoughts NY

Monday, January 08, 2007

The Apple Tree


I'm really behind on this post as I saw The Apple Tree a few weeks before the holiday. I've seen a lot of info since then about the show - mostly good, some indifferent. I think that's where I stand. For those who don't know, it's three separate stories using the same actors. We open with Adam and Eve (inspired by the stories of Mark Twain), followed by The Lady and the Tiger (story of a princess and her lover), and lastly Passionella (a chimney sweep turned glamorous movie star).

I enjoyed the show - but I felt like it was meant more for my parents that for me. It felt entirely dated and not very original. The music wasn't inspiring or memorable (no, I can't really recall any of the songs).

Kristen Chenowith gives a nice performance - and this was the first time I've seen her on stage, so I'm glad for that. I love Mark Kudisch (he can do no wrong) and this was no exception. Brian D'Arcy James also gave a lovely performance. As far as this being a show I'd recommend, ah...not so much.

Photos: nytheatre.com & Sara Krulwich/The New York Times

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home