Theater Thoughts NY

Tuesday, May 01, 2007

TalkRadio

Okay! Back to real-time updating. I have the time to do this now because it's the middle of finals and I'm procrastinating. In any case, I made it up to the city this past weekend and saw a few shows, starting with Eric Bogosian's TalkRadio.

For those loyal readers, you know I'm a bit biased towards Bogosian, and this play kept me on board. It was a great show, both humorous but heavy. It takes place in a radio studio in Cleveland, Ohio, back when the first Bush was VP of the country. Barry Champlain, played by Liev Schreiber, has a controversial night talk show that is just about to be picked up for national syndication, and the setting of the play is the final "preview" night. It sounds a bit Howard Sternish, and that did cross my mind as I was watching it, but it's a bit different, and there's some backstory with Champlain, and you get some nice monologues from each character that gives some background behind the relationships between Champlain and each member in the studio.

In any case, Liev Schreiber's performance is pretty incredible. I saw him as MacBeth, and Henry V, and all, but this performance really blew me away. There's so much depth to his character, at once you think he's a huge jerk, which he is, but you can't help feeling sorry for him, and he still manages to somehow be a likable protagonist, although it doesn't seem like there's anything to like about him. He's pompous and arrogant, but manages to command respect but still have this air of vulnerability. I don't know what I'm saying. But he's great.

The entire cast is not too bad as well. Sebastian Stan is this kid I saw at Tribeca last year who was in one of the movies in my theater, "The Architect." I just thought I'd mention that. His character was pretty fun.

To fans of Bogosian or Bogosian-esque fare and fans of good acting and quality theater, I recommend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home