Theater Thoughts NY

Monday, May 29, 2006

Awake and Sing!

So I meant to post this earlier, but after some complications, I had to postpone my posting. But whatever. I'm posting now and that's all that matters. Woohoo!

So. Awake and Sing. I mean Awake and Sing! It was good. Like it started and it was okay. And then it got progressively better. And then at the end it was like, wow, that was good. So it just got better as it went on. There were three acts, two intermissions and one "two-minute pause," but it never felt long, and that was good. The first act introduced you to this family, the second act let the family progress, and then some action started happening and then the third act okay, just told more story, and it was a bit more actionful. That's why it got progressively better. I don't make sense.

The play was an old one, and some of the issues it dealt with did feel a bit dated, specifically marriage, gender roles, etc. But it was a good little period piece. I thought the set was pretty great and its progression throughout the play and how it reflected on the family. I thought the cast was very strong. Mark Ruffalo was great, although Pablo Schreiber kept reminding me like a hundred percent of the little kid in Mr. Marmalade. And when the grandpa spoke, he was just too slow to keep my attention. But in general, it was a strong cast.

One thing that was pretty interesting was the fact that, in my opinion, none of the characters were terribly likable. Although the play itself still turned out good. There were some characters that were a bit more likable than others, and in the end, the likable ones kind of make a case and pull through, but throughout the beginning acts, it was a little weird, and I think that might be why it just kept getting stronger. At the end, I got chills during the final monologue, and it was a pretty strong show. Check it out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home