Theater Thoughts NY

Thursday, April 20, 2006

Sweeney Todd (finally!)

Well I'm a few months late in seeing this show - but seriously, better late than never. Kevin saw it early while the show was still in previews, but somehow I missed out until now.

This was my first time seeing a performance of Sweeney Todd - and I've heard from other people that this might be a good thing. The show is portrayed in a concert style. All of the actors play a musical instrument (some of them play several - look out for Patty Lupone on the tuba), and I believe only one actor leaves the stage at one time in the show. As you can imagine, it must be quite a draining yet exhilerating show to perform each night. Michael Cerveris and Patty Lupone are luminous together on stage - they play off of one another so well.

Speaking of exhilerating for the actors - it's breathtaking as an audience member. I determined that I might have liked it a bit better than my blogging counterpart, because my seats were very intimate to the performers, and I felt entranced by each move they made.

I thought that the music was wonderful and I'm actually listening to it as I sit here and write this. Johanna is a song that has been stuck in my head since I saw the show. All in all - I'd recommend this show to anyone - I think it's a great tribute to theatre and also a uniquely staged event.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home