Theater Thoughts NY

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

The Drowsy Chaperone

So here's something new. Lydia and I are both going to speak on this show. This isn't because the show's special or something, it's more borne from the fact that I'm bored off my bajujus at work, and Lydia's apparently really busy. So I'm going to start it, but let her fill in her thoughts as well. A little point-counterpoint if you will. Exciting, huh? If you like this format, please leave a comment, and we will try to incorporate it more. Ha. It might not even be point-counterpoint, that was a cheap plug to get our reader(s) to leave comments. Especially if you don't watch theater, we'd like to hear your opinions on some of these shows. In any case, on to the show!

We've had a good run of enjoyable theater lately. Namely with The History Boys, which I've decided I think is the best thing play on Broadway right now, if not best show (I know, it was a difficult decision, but I think I have it just slightly over Inishmore, but I might have to watch that one again). In any case, The Drowsy Chaperone was also quite an enjoyable feat of musical theater.

It's another one of those shows that is very geared towards poking fun of itself, of musicals, and of the theater scene in general, which has kind of become the trend in good, successful musicals lately, I feel (starting with Spamalot, and moving on). It starts out just blatantly talking about what theater has become, and how bad it is nowadays, and how there are all these tourists, and so right from the get-go it was rather entertaining.
- Lyda here - the difference in this show to me is that it is not really making fun of musicals but really passionately paying homage to them, especially musicals of the 1920s - those grand musicals. It made me think about the true fundamental reasons I love theatre - not just musical theatre but really any type of theatre in general. The feeling of escape and at times pure bliss and how that can come through in a show.

So the show plot is a pretty simple one. This guy is in his apartment, and he puts on an old musical "The Drowsy Chaperone" on the record player, and it comes to life in his living room. "The Drowsy Chaperone" as the musical within the show really is not much of a plot, some wedding drama or whatnot, and there's not a particular reason it's called "The Drowsy Chaperone," I guess, except maybe the title character is supposed to be this big star from the 20's, which is when the fictional musical staged.
- Lydia again - The Drowsy Chaperone (played by Beth Leavel) really steals the show every time she comes on stage. I think she was my favorite character in this great ensemble.

It was a very high energy, fun show, with a lot of little gags and fun things that you can kind of predict will happen, as it jumps back from real-time to musical-record-reenactment time throughout the show, but all these little gimmicks are done very well and are very funny and clever. It really keeps the show on its toes, and brings a fun air of originality to the production.
- I agree with Kevin that the show is fast paced and the humor flows throughout - but I didn't find it terribly predictable. Of course, the story of The Drowsy Chaperone musical is predictable, as most of the shows in that era were - but this show as a whole was truly fresh. From the opening segment in which the audience sits in the dark for about 10 minutes listening to a voiceover narrative to the scene after the "intermission" when the narrator puts on the wrong record.

The cast overall was just great. Sutton Foster was great, doing her little starlet thing that I'm sure she always does, and the Drowsy Chaperone was hilarious. The cast looked like they were having fun, camping it up and just being silly, since it's just a silly show. My favorite cast members were this pair of really short pastry chef gangsters. They were just hilarious and well synchronized. Which I like.
- Lydia once more - I already mentioned that I loved the Chaperone character, but as a good friend said to me, he thinks this is the best ensemble cast on Broadway right now (probably second to History Boys) and I agree. There really isn't one weak link within the show and everyone has his and her moment to shine. I think we'll see Drowsy go on to win many many awards this season and give Jersey Boys some true competition.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kevin! said...

Give Jersey Boys some true competition? What about Hot Feet?! or Lestat?! How darest thou shun these masterpieces of modern musical theater.

9:05 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home