Theater Thoughts NY

Thursday, May 25, 2006

columbinus

So Lydia got called off to Europe to review some West End shows and some European tours, so I'm holding down the NY fort this week. Last night I saw columbinus, and first off. Wow. So, Mr. Isherwood (or Chuckie Ish as I like to call him) and I have been pretty not in accord for NYTW's shows. For instance, I really liked Bach at Leipzig, he did not. He really liked The Seven, and I ...well, let's just say "your king." Lydia knows what that means. Go back and read the review. So I haven't read Ishy's review yet, but the little blurb on top made me seem like he was less than impressed. I however, really enjoyed it (although, as an usher, we were told not to tell people to "enjoy the show").

So the first act of the show deals with a generic high school with its generic stereotypical students and all. "Columbinus" if you will. The second act is straight up Columbine, from like real text, Laramie Project style. So the second act I was a little like, eh, is this necessary? Especially after really enjoying the first act. The first act is staged creatively (well, the second act is too), a little light, but also not, but basically fun. There's a bit of skin (which is always a plus), and it's quite intriguing. The first few scenes kind of make you question the style, but as the play goes on, it kind of fits together and becomes more understandable/enjoyable.

The striking thing about it, and the reason I'm okay with the second act of straight-up Columbine is because the first act really presents a kind of universality for everyone. There are pretty much characters that anyone can relate to in some sense, and you see everyone has an issue. You kind of sympathize for the killers, which is scary, and it really makes you think, this could have happened to me, this could have BEEN me, why wasn't it me? It's very intriguing, but it doesn't really throw it in your face. It's more of a retrospective thought, and I liked that.

After discussing with a fellow usher after the show, he felt the second act was staged too safely, without any actual re-enactments, but just readings. I however, though it was very powerful how it was; the sparse staging made you actually picture it all for yourself. All in all I thought it was quite good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home