Theater Thoughts NY

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Company

I took a peak over at the NY Times reader's reviews on Company and wow are they polarized. Of the 16 reviews currently posted, about half of the reviewers loved the show and couldn't get enough. The other half felt disappointed and let down by this new production. I think I'm somewhere right in the middle.

The revival of Sondheim's Company is exciting news to the NYC theatre community, especially with its great reviews that just came out. It's the second production on Broadway from John Doyle, the most innovative director who brought us Sweeney Todd last year. The show is the third revival since its original staging in 1970 (Roundabout brought it back in 1996).

You may already know what Company's about but it's set in NYC and the plot revolves around Bobby (a single man unable to commit to any relationship, much less marriage), five married couples who are his best friends, and his three (yes, three) girlfriends. Unlike the typical musical which follows a book and clear plot, Company is what's referred to as a "concept musical," combining short vignettes in no particular chronological order, linked by a celebration for Bobby's 35th birthday.

John Doyle's imagining of this show, much like Sweeney Todd, leaves the actors on stage at most times during the show, playing all of their instruments. I absolutely loved this idea in Sweeney Todd, but for Company I felt it left a little of the intimacy between actors to be desired. I'll admit I've never seen the show before, and hadn't even heard the music. So, as my first exposure, I felt a little left to be desired - in terms not only of the actors but also the set, which felt entirely too stark to me. Raul does a pretty good job - but at times, I felt that the man was not acting - especially with some of his haughty poses and stares into the audience.

I was also thinking about my viewing the show for the first time - living in our society, especially NYC and having seen all of Sex and the City, I felt a bit like I had heard this all before - none of it seemed entirely new. Granted, I know Sondheim and Furth wrote this over 30 years ago, and the men were well ahead of their time.

I think I'll leave it as anyone who sees this show (as will all shows) should make up their own opinion, having been influence by all sorts of factors - but for me, I think I had expectations that were set a bit too high. I will say I can't wait to see what John Doyle does next....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home