Theater Thoughts NY

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

A Very Merry Unauthorized Children's Scientology Pageant

In case you didn't know...Scientology is pretty whack! And I think so even more after seeing this adorable, hilarious, and really quite frightening new show at NYTW's small theater on east 4th street.

The show is performed entirely by children, ranging in age from (and I'm guessing here) 7-12. Yes, how adorable...and I had a big smile on my face the entire time. It tells the story of the life of L. Ron Hubbard, the founder of Scientology, through the kids dancing, singing, and running around the stage looking absolutely as cute as possible. Along the way we learn the L. Ron is completely screwed up guy, who seemingly made up this idea of scientology when he realized that no other sort of faith or idealism could explain to him how the world works.

I learned a few things that I didn't know about Scientology (as I've tried to stay as far away from it as possible) like how expensive it is to join the church and how many people have gone bankrupt because of it. It seems like a sort of brainwashing. A scene in the show that embellished upon what must happen to senior ranking members of the church once they board L. Ron's yacht is quite amusing. Another scene towards the end, set in a courtroom, shows celebrity members of Scientology. A little boy comes out in a leather jacket, acting as Tom Cruise - with two puppets in either hand - you can only guess who these must be.

All in all, the show is hilarious - it's such a novel idea to present such a sketchy subject in this manner. Some of the kids were completely professional - not breaking any of their characters even once. Another little girl was too cute - she kept scratching her nose during her scenes and yawning....But it's quite an enjoyable night at the theater - this is a show I'd see over and over!

1 Comments:

Blogger London Minority Actor said...

The kids are 8-14. I asked. And it was great. And there's a recording out there somewhere too, because I think it played a couple years back (I think at my friend's theater company, but I'd have to verify). The songs get stuck in your head like whoa, but it's quite good.

8:04 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home