Theater Thoughts NY

Thursday, June 22, 2006

The Water's Edge

This play was all right. We saw it on opening night, which was pretty fun. There were a few cool people there, but not too many. Among them, we had Cynthia Nixon, Lynn Redgrave, Eric Bogosian, and a bunch of Second Stage actors. No Meryl Streep.

The play itself I thought was pretty good. Nothing stunning, but definitely not bad. I kind of liked it. It helps that we were told it was based on a Greek play, as the show really unfolds into a very Greek tragedy. The show basically tells about this guy who left his wife and kids seventeen years ago and comes back with his girlfriend to try and get his house.

So the show was pretty good, it had some funny moments, and I enjoyed its darker ending. The cast was decent. Kate Burton was pretty good, but the girl who played the girlfriend needs to learn how to use inflection and talk naturally (i.e. "I..I..I..." should not sound like "aye aye aye!"). But she was whoa bosomy.

So I would say the show is recommendable, but not on the top of the list. Like go see it if you feel like it, but there's no need to run to it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home