Theater Thoughts NY

Saturday, December 02, 2006

QED

So I've been pleasantly surprised by Philadelphia theater. This is my second play at St. Stephen's Theater, and it was quite enjoyable.

QED, which does not refer to what one writes after a proof, but rather Quantum ElectroDynamics, tells the story of Richard Feynman, a Nobel prize-winning professor at Caltech who was very eclectic. It's essentially a one man play, with this guy in his office telling the audience stuff and talking on the phone, and interacting briefly with a student.

It's funny, it's interesting, and although it's another one of those kind of blatant tearjerkers, it's a bit moving as well. It's interesting to be watching a play about a Caltech professor, but it's quite entertaining. He tells all sorts of random stories and kind of has ADD. He makes decisions about life and reasons for it, and it's a pretty entertaining night at the theater. The acting was solid and the writing was good. The content was different, and I was pretty darn satisfied.

The last show I saw at this theater was "Master Harold...and the Boys," which I don't think I posted about. It also was very good. The play itself is an incredible one written by Athol Fugard dealing with race, status, power, and character in South Africa. I remember reading it and being totally moved, so I was really excited to go see it. It was definitely worth it. It's a great play, and the production was really quite good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home