Theater Thoughts NY

Friday, June 30, 2006

Arabian Night

So now I'm the one that's behind in posting. But Spring Awakening just inspired me to post, even though I don't get to post for any shows that were nearly as good as it. But here goes anyway. We saw Arabian Night a few weeks ago at the Classic Stage Company. I'm going to give it a pretty neutral rating. Partly because we weren't totally sure what it was about, but it had a really cool set, and it was staged pretty neatly.

So basically the show is set in this apartment building, in which the water is turned off, and everyone is really hot (temperature-wise). One girl is like really loopy, and one guy becomes a genie, and one guy has a lot of sex with women who aren't there, and one guy is the narrator/building manager. It kind of shows these people intermingling, and somehow it melds into these people walking into like Arabian tents, and genies in bottles, all while being in this apartment building. It was a little weird. But it wasn't bad.

All the dialogue was kind of in third person style, where they don't actually speak to each other, but rather narrate what they are doing. This annoyed the hell out of me in "Apparition" (that might be my most-mentioned show in this blog, and I saw that before we started posting. Let me remind you if you've forgotten: WORST SHOW EVER). But in this production, I think it worked. Maybe because there was action.

As I mentioned previously, the set was pretty neat; it was kind of this big apartment building built of pipes and lights and stuff. It was very sparse, but the way the rooms/balconies/elevator etc were laid out worked well, and it was pretty neat.

The cast wasn't bad, the show wasn't bad. So basically what I'm trying to say is that it wasn't a bad night at the theater, but it wasn't anything to write home about. Or write on a blog about. Sorry this posting kind of sucked.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home